Alessandro Cinque is a photojournalist currently based in Lima. His work delves into mining’s devastating impact on indigenous communities and their lands. Alessandro has especially been documenting environmental contamination and public health concerns among the communities of Campesinos living along Peru’s mining corridor. In 2017, during a working trip in the Sacred Valley of the Incas, he met a 53-year old woman who told him that she got cancer because the water in her village was highly contaminated. Since then, Alessandro has committed to photographing the effects of the pollution that permeates the crops, livestock, and homes of the people residing near mining sites. Alessandro’s attention to social and environmental issues affecting minorities has often driven his work. In 2017, he documented gold mining in Senegal and kolbars smuggling goods at the border between Iraq and Iran. In 2019, while studying at the ICP in New York, he portrayed Williamsburg’s Italo-American community and travelled to Arizona to photograph the abandoned uranium mines in the Navajo territories. Alessandro is a Leica Ambassador. His photos were published in The New York Times, the NYT Lens Blog, MarieClaire, Libèration, Internazionale, L’Espresso. In 2019, his work on Peru won POYi’s Issue Reporting Picture Story first place. In the same year, he was selected as “Finalist” at Eugene Smith Grantand Alexia Foundation Grant. In December 2019, Alessandro moved to Lima to become more acquainted with Peru’s culture and society. He began contributing to Reuters’ coverage of LATAM while expanding his project on the impact of Peru’s mining industry on Quechua populations.
- 2020 - Winner of “Focus on The Story Grant”
- 2020 - Shortlisted at “The Andrei Stenin International Photo Contest”
- 2020 - Selected at NY Portfolio Review
- 2019 – Selected at “FINALIST” at ALEXIA FOUNDATION
- 2019 – Selected at “FINALIST” at EUGENE SMITH GRANT
- 2019 – 1° place at “POYi – PICTURES OF THE YEAR INTERNATIONAL” Issue Reporting Picture Story category.
- 2019 – Selected at “FINALIST” at “ROMANO CAGNONI AWARD” by Photolux Festival
- 2019 – Selected for the Portfolio Review by BLINK in New York.
- 2019 – PX3 Selected to be exhibited at the annual Paris Photo Prize.
- 2019 – 3° BRONZE at “MIFA AWARD”
- 2019 – Winner of the “CLOSER” Award of Witness Journal.
- 2018 – Finalist a “Single Shot Award” and “Short Story Award” at “Festival Fotografia Etica di Lodi”- Italy.
- 2018 – Award of Excellence at “POYi – PICTURES OF THE YEAR INTERNATIONAL”.
- 2018 – 3° BRONZE at “MIFA AWARD”.
- 2018 – 1° GOLD Winner at “FIOF Italy – International Photo Award”.
- 2017 – Finalist a “Single Shot Award” “Festival Fotografia Etica di Lodi”- Italy.
- 2017 – Honorable Mention at “MIFA AWARD”.
- 2017 – Honorable Mention at “MONOCHROME AWARD”.